Because of Dr. Latif, I can walk long-distance now."
- Mr. Roger Brasil (Patient)
Spider veins like varicose veins are caused by dysfunctional vein valves. However spider veins appear as a nest of blue or red veins just under the surface of the skin and typically do not bulge above the skin's surface like varicose veins. Varicose veins are a sign of venous disease and should be diagnosed and treated by a vascular specialist to avoid progression to chronic venous insufficiency.
Over 25 million people in the United States suffer from symptomatic venous insufficiency, the underlying cause of varicose veins. Varicose veins are often mistakenly thought to be only a cosmetic condition, when in fact, they are usually a symptom of venous insufficiency. Venous insufficiency progressively damages the valves of the saphenous vein and cosmetically disfigures the leg.
Some common symptoms of venous insufficiency are:
• Varicose Veins
• Burning or itching of the skin
• Swollen legs and ankles (edema)
• Color and texture changes of the skin
• Aching weak legs after long periods of standing or sitting
• Poorly healing wounds such as skin ulcers commonly above the medial malleolus